Friday, January 12, 2018

The Life And Death Of AL Morris III

My last Goodbye to Alfred Morris III of Iron Man.





Hey AL,

I didn't get to say goodbye, and I haven't a substantial enough reason for that in the short stint I stayed in Maryland. I seen you at Maryland Doom Metal Fest, and got a sweaty hug by the merch tables after you headlined, and once again blasted the metal pepsqueaks to the wayside with your mountainous-size, muzzle loading riffs. Iron Man was countlessly hailed as the masterpiece of Doom Metal, as numerous musicians referenced you during the making of the documentary, that I never got to show you. You're forever in my heart, and somehow I know you will find a way to read this through the hearts that live on because of you in the Doom Metal community you single-handedly molded in Maryland. I know you were the sort to never burden anyone, and pushed a lot of people away, such as, an animal who strays off to die. But, had I shown you what the film was made of that I am screening in other places, you might bare some respect for myself after all the years, rumors and splits I went through right along with every band and cast member in the film. Iron Man were family and family is often the reason we chose to die alone in the end. Suffering is something we learn to take on by ourselves, but AL Morris III we finally suffered with you two days ago when we all learned about you passing away. I'll always remember the story that you told me about sneaking into an amphitheater, "like groupies" in Washington DC to meet and see Tony Iommi play in Black Sabbath. Later on, the man was ironically coined The "Black" Tony Iommi of metal.

https://vimeo.com/highwaypoet/
(Shadows Of Darkness By Iron Man)
Filmed in Louisville,KY and DOTD

*Many side notes that the fans may not have known, I would like to take a moment to address, even though the man alone deserves an hour long documentary. Alfred Morris III had worked at the Smithsonian, and leaves behind a daughter at 61 while residing in Gaithersburg, Maryland. When many Metal acts think that there isn't professionals in this field, didn't get a chance to meet Alfed Morris III the way that I was privileged to. If Iron Mans discography isn't as long as the rest who abandoned their families and refused to work a real job, AL Morris III did the exact opposite. When many musicians are spotted on the internet spotlighting their ownselves while thinking they deserve The Nobel Peace Prize, AL Morris III truly did. It took several years for a bigger label to sign Iron Man's last album, but the simple advice he gave me about The Library Of Congress is bigger than many of them and taught me to rise above. Bigger than life; heavier than the heavens Alfred Morris III hasn't changed sitting in the cosmos,  I guarantee it. As much hell as he chose to burden himself with, and take on down here with little help from anyone. He proved to be a prime example of strength when Diabetes caused for the amputation of his leg. Iron Man wasn't a title, it was his way of living.



     Goodbye now, today and tomorrow.
                         

No comments:

Post a Comment